About Balm Balm
Balm Balm was founded by Glenda Taylor in 2005. It is a 100% natural and organic skincare line. The products are cruelty free since none of the products undergo animal testing. Their ingredients are clearly described with no hidden chemicals. All their products are natural so they melt over 30 degrees celsius. Don’t worry though, they set again once they are cooled. You could even store them in the fridge.
I’ve been wanting to try out a serum for a while now as I’ve heard and read that they can a give your skin an added boost. Serums contain more active and helpful ingredients to improve your skin. Serums are also known to be quite pricey. Most of the popular brands range between R400 – R600. I wanted to treat myself but I didn’t want to get anything over R300. If I’m paying so much for something, it has to last quite a while too. I didn’t want anything with too many harsh ingredients either. I thought this Balm Balm serum would be the best deal.
I’ve been using this for about a week and it is a lovely addition to my skin routine. It is natural and organic so it doesn’t irritate my skin at all. I have a normal/dry skin type. I get breakouts very rarely which range from eczema, to rash, to fine pimples. To be safe though, I have rarely used it on my temples where I still tend to get active eczema. So far I have had zero adverse effects.
It comes in a brown 30ml bottle with a pipette dropper. This makes using the product so easy and mess free. You can also control how much you use. You’ll also be able to use it until the last drop. The smell is not strong and I find it pleasant. To me it smells like a mix of rose and citrus.
So far it has made my skin feel smooth. I almost felt like it was making my skin lighter but I realised it was just evening out my skin tone. I usually use 3 drops in the evening with or without my night cream. I just use the pipette to squeeze it out on to my palm and then I use fingertips to pat it all over my face and massage it into my skin. It absorbs very easily and does not make your skin look oily. Instead you get a moisturised and dewy complexion. In the morning I add 1 drop to my palm to mix with my regular moisturiser.
Since throwing out my foundation I’m really glad I have this product to give my skin a boost. I much prefer having a naturally clear and smooth skin and to have people wonder if I’m wearing foundation. I still occasionally use BB cream and concealer.
From the official website:
Made from such luxuriously fine carrier oils, so similar to our own skins make up that they are miraculously absorbed, leaving no oiliness whatsoever. This beautifully rich blend of rosehip, jojoba and borage oils, generously infused with frankincense, rose geranium, palmarosa, juniper and mandarin essential oils will literally feed your skin, allowing it to breathe and feel totally rejuvenated.
- Rosa Canina (Rosehip) – Derived from roses it is a powerful antioxidant. Contains vitamin A + C and essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6. Helps with skin rejuvenation, pigment reduction, and improved complexion.
- Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) – Can control acne, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant.
- Borago Officinalis (Borage) – Restores moisture and smoothness.
- Boswellia Neglecta (Frankincense) – Helps with general skin tone, healing properties.
- Pelargonium Graveolens (Rose Geranium) – Clears sluggish and oily skin, healing properties.
- Cymbopogon Martini (Palmarosa) – Helps with scarring, fights wrinkles, hydrating, keeps skin supple.
- Juniperus Communis (Juniper Berry) – Helps with eczema, blocked pores, acne, dermatitis.
- Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin) – Increases circulation and reduces fluid retention.
I got this free when I bought the serum. Lucky me! It says it’s a face balm on the front but at the back it indicates that it is also for the neck, lips, elbows, hands, and feet. It is a grainy balm that relieves dry skin. To use it, you just squeeze out the amount you want and rub it between your fingers or palms to melt it before applying it to whichever area you want. This is a nice product but I can’t see myself repurchasing. I usually use it on my lips before bed.
From the official website:
Made from shea butter, sunflower, beeswax, jojoba, calendula rose geranium essential oil, gently melted together to create a soft balm formulation to soothe, moisturise and nourish your face & neck or anywhere else that might need caring for. Rose geranium has a delightfully uplifting, feminine fragrance. Our Rose Geranium Face Balm is an organic face balm certified by the Soil Association.
- Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) – Moisturiser and clears blemishes
- Helianthus annuus (sunflower oil) – Reduces acne, protects against sun damage, prevents skin infections.
- Cera alba (beeswax) – Skin healer and softener, antibacterial, skin protectant.
- Calendula officinalis (calendula oil) – Anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
- Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba oil) – see above
- Pelargonium graveolens roseum (rose geranium oil) – see above