Whenever I want to make a simple and easy dinner or lunch, I turn to pasta. It’s doesn’t take a long time to cook and it is so versatile.
Pasta and Sauces
- Puccini Pasta Gnocchi 500g, R13.99
I like the shape of this pasta and I like how they hold pasta sauce. They are like little shells.
- All Joy Simply Add Pasta – Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce 440g, R24.95
The name sounds like an All Gold rip-off. I love the aroma and taste of tomato and basil. I love it on pizzas and pastas. This has a nice taste but it is not as good as the Ina Paarman’s version of tomato and basil sauce. This one is runny and not very chunky. I thought I would try it because it’s a bigger bottle for a cheaper price. It’s not a bad sauce as you can see I have used half of it already, but there are better brands.
- Ina Paarman’s Kitchen Sun-dried Tomato & Pecorino Pasta Sauce 400g, R29.99
Yummy! Don’t be put off by the orange colour. This is delicious. It’s thick and creamy with a nice aroma. I like the cheesy taste. I really love sun-dried tomatoes on pizzas so that’s probably why I chose this one. The sauce has some nice chunks of the tomatoes which are tasty!
Cooking the pasta is easy!
1. Boil some water in a saucepan. The quantity of water depends on the amount of pasta you’re going to cook. I usually use enough water so that there is two centimetres of water above the pasta.
2. Once the water is boiling add the pasta. Let the water some to a brisk boil again and then cook it uncovered until the pasta is firm but not hard. This usually takes 5 – 10 minutes. The bag says 5 – 8 minutes but they don’t know your stove!
3. Take the saucepan off the stove and pour the contents into a colander or sieve to drain all the excess water out. The gnocchi pasta needs to be shaken around a lot because of their shape. They tend to hold water like a cup.
4. Dish some out into a bowl or on a plate and top it with your favourite pasta sauce. You could have it as a side dish or main course.
Pasta and Veggies
I decided to have my pasta with both sauces and with various vegetables. Baby potatoes, butternut, broccoli, and cauliflower. I enjoy pasta on its own too.