I got this popcorn maker at Clicks when it was on sale. It pops your kernels using heat – a much healthier option. So there is no oil or butter involved which cuts out extra fat and cholesterol.
Perfect for snacking
Popcorn is a great alternative to chips/crisps when you’re looking for something to snack on. Instead of buying Pringles or Lays I just make a bowl of popcorn for myself. It has that satisfying crunch that I love and keeps me full between meals.
- Popcorn is naturally low in fat and calories.
- Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup; oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup.
- Popcorn is a whole grain, making it a good-for-you food.
- Popcorn provides energy-producing complex carbohydrates
- Popcorn contains fibre, providing roughage the body needs in the daily diet.
- Popcorn has no artificial additives or preservatives, and is sugar-free.
- Popcorn is ideal for between meal snacking since it satisfies and doesn’t spoil the appetite.
According to fitbie.com, one serving of popcorn provides you with more than 70% of the fibre you need per day.
What’s in the box?
This is the Safeway Popcorn Maker.
How to use
1. Add your corn kernels to the measuring cup. You can use as little or as much as you want but the maximum amount is a level measuring cup. Don’t let the cup overflow or make a “heap”.
2. Pour the kernels into the popcorn maker and put the cup in it’s place on top of the chute.
3. Make sure it’s plugged in. Get a bowl ready underneath the chute and put the switch on.
4. The kernels will begin to swirl around in the popcorn maker. There are little rectangular holes on the inside of the machine where the hot air comes out. They are placed at an angle to make the popcorn tornado ;). This will happen for about 20 seconds while the kernels heat up and then begin to pop. It is quite violent so you’ll have to tilt the bowl a bit so the popcorn doesn’t go everywhere. Once the popping stops or there are no more kernels, switch off the appliance.
5. You now have a nice bowl of popcorn! You can transfer the popcorn to a different bowl and take out all the unpopped kernels and pop them again. Especially since the popcorn pops out so violently that a lot of unpopped kernels will fall into the bowl. I would not recommend that you pop the kernels a third time.
6. Wipe the appliance clean once it has cooled down.
Retails for R159.99 at Clicks.